Glorious Gibsons!

Glorious Gibsons!
Sunset view from our residence in Gibsons, British Columbia CANADA

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Gadget Crazy

(photo from Cuisinart Web site)
Just when you thought you had every kitchen tool and gadget there was to be had, along comes something else you can’t live without!  I’m talking about the Cuisinart Spice & Nut Grinder.  Although it’s been around awhile, I only purchased one late last year.  My main mission was to see if I could adequately grind whole flax seeds into flax meal (ground flax seeds). Previously I had tried grinding flax seeds using a mortar and pestle, a blender, and a food processor – all with poor results.  The problem with purchasing flax seeds already ground is they quickly and easily turn rancid and you don’t know quite how long they’ve been sitting on the grocery store shelf so you’re always best grinding your own.  Plus most supermarkets don’t keep them refrigerated – another way to help them turn rancid quicker.  Besides, who wants to purchase a package of whole flax seeds and ground flax seeds when just one will do.  Well, now that I have my Spice & Nut Grinder I’m able to produce perfectly ground flax seeds in seconds.  It’s the only tool that works! 

Another great use for this gadget is making your own tahini.  I’ve been paying about $7 a jar for the organic tahini and now I make my own with sesame seeds and a little olive oil (recipe below).  Sesame seeds are a great source of calcium, so whether you spread tahini on toast as a nice change from a nut butter or incorporate it into your favouite hummous recipe (mine is below), you’re doing a good thing.

Yet another way I’ve been utilizing this machine is for a rockin’ antioxidant mixture that I sprinkle over oatmeal and on top of toast and almond butter (recipe below).

I think Cuisinart should have renamed this little appliance.  I’ve hardly used it for spices and nuts.  I’m sure you’ll find all kinds of different applications for it too.

Homemade Tahini
(yields 1/3 cup for hummous recipe below – but feel free to double the recipe and store tahini in the fridge for other uses)
1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
2 tablespoons olive oil, more if necessary

Place sesame seeds in a dry skillet and place over a medium-high heat.  Make sure to move the sesame seeds around – either my stirring or shaking the pan – to avoid burning.  (If you do burn them, throw it out and start again.  Burnt sesame seeds are extremely bitter tasting and will not be pleasant to eat). After just 3-4 minutes or whenever you see the sesame seeds turn a golden colour and smell toasted, remove from heat and spread on a cookie sheet to let cool.  Once cool, place in Nut & Spice Grinder, add olive oil, and process until smooth.  Add more olive oil if needed for a smooth consistency.

My Favourite Hummous Recipe
(adapted from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, page 46)
2 cups of cooked chick peas (or 1 - 19 oz. can, drained and rinsed)
1/3 cup tahini
1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
8 dashes of Tabasco (or other hot sauce)
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
3 garlic cloves, minced 

Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped (I like my hummous with a bit of texture, but feel free to process until smooth if that’s the way you like it).  Adjust seasoning, if needed.  If mixture is too thick, add more water.

Rockin’ Antioxidant Mixture (RAM)
1 tablespoon raw sesame seeds
1 tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon raw sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons whole flax seeds

Put all ingredients in the Spice & Nut Grinder and process until fine.  Sprinkle over anything you like.  Keep mixture refrigerated.

Note: If you are going to use this gadget for grinding spices, a great way to remove the odour from the machine so you don't ruin your next recipe, is to put a handful of rice in the grinder and process.  The rice will absorb the odour and clean the machine.

1 comment:

  1. great recipes, im sure gonna try them, in case you need some cooking appliances to be repaired try my site
    repair appliance

    ReplyDelete